We attended a re-enactment event this weekend and got to spend some time with some really wonderful people who we (hubby and I) are honoured to call friends. During a conversation our friend’s son was jesting that his Dad can’t cook at all, not even hot dogs. The explanation was hilarious and a little out there (so I will spare the details), but we all had a good laugh at our friend’s expense.
Well…as the universe would have it, things have a way of showing up at just the right time – someone sent me a recipe for Indian Tacos this morning and I thought of our friend (he is part Mohawk…but more of an eater than a cooker). A pizza using Fry Bread as the base. It is a very easy, 4 ingredient recipe, so surely he could cook up this deliciousness and take back his pride in the kitchen! I thought more about his son’s story and decided…nope, the recipe required actual measuring and mixing. This might be too much, so I created a cheater recipe, that hearkens back to my grade 8 home economics class.
This pizza is laden in calories, fat, sodium and decadently bad for you, so what’s not to like?
We all have to enjoy ourselves once in a while and indulge in some totally unhealthy carbs and fats. If you want to make it slightly more healthy, you can use low fat, low sodium cheese, organic low sodium mac n’ cheese and organic all beef hot dogs. Less Guilt, but still YUM!
P.S. Wyatt make sure your Dad helps you make this. 😉
- 2 tubes of prepared crescent dough
- 1 box of mac n' cheese dinner
- 4 hot dogs thawed...but not under your armpits as you have to share
- 1 tin pizza sauce
- 1 cup grated cheese of your choice
- Oregano and other spices of your choice to taste.
- Prepare mac n' cheese according to package instructions set aside to cool slightly.
- Open crescent dough tubes and roll dough out by hand side by side on a large cookie sheet.
- Pinch seam together and lightly pat down to remove air bubbles.
- Open tin of pizza sauce and add to dough.. spread around gently with a spoon. Add spices.
- Spoon mac n' cheese onto dough being careful to not make it too thick.
- Slice hot dogs however you please and sprinkle them over mac n' cheese mixture.
- top with grated cheese of your choice and bake in oven at 450f for 10 minutes.
This is good stuff but don't over do it. You can add any other toppings you wish to this delicious concoction. My secret ingredient for making ANY mac n' cheese better: Sriracha! It livens up the cheese sauce and adds a little heat.
This recipe was first invented way back in 1976 in my grade 8 home economics class. We had to come up with something from ingredients we had already used in our class over the year for our final test mark. Myself and two other girls invented this tasty pizza by combining our multitudes of experience making English Muffin Pizzas (muffins, hot dogs, cheese and tinned sauce) , Pigs in a Blanket (hot dogs wrapped in crescent dough) and of course mac n' cheese out of a box which was the boiling water 101 part of our cooking skills. No one else was as creative as we were.