Lemon Cranberry Chocolate Chip Walnut MuffinsCourse: DessertCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
Not a lot needs to be said about these yummy globs of muffin goodness except that they are easy, quick and satisfying without being sickly sweet. The zesty lemon and cranberries, walnuts and chocolate add taste and texture and the limited amount of sugar makes these wholesome. Yes…a treat can be wholesome and taste good too.
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp baking powder
2 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup fresh cranberries
3/4 cup of milk
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 olive oil or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 370 f.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and gently stir together.
- Add fruit, chips and nuts to dry ingredients stir until coated.
- Add lemon juice to milk and let sit for 10 minutes to curdle milk. (This creates a buttermilk flavour)
- Lightly beat egg into milk mixture then add oil.
- Stir until slightly blended.
- Pour wet mixture over dry and gently fold ingredients until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Do not over mix.
- Batter will become dense and muffins will be tough.
- Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups and add muffin batter to top of cups.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes or until muffins slightly rise and are golden brown.
- Olive oil may seem strange in a muffin recipe but, it adds a distinct and unique flavour. The cranberries may be changed out to any other fruit you like as well as the nuts and even the chocolate. I have made these with blueberries, hazelnuts and white chocolate as well.
- An especially tasty version is apple chunks and butterscotch chips.
- When using substituted ingredients be sure to follow recommended measurement suggestions when necessary.