Fry BreadCourse: BreadCuisine: IndigenousDifficulty: Easy
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups warm water
Oil (for frying)
- Put flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl combine ingredients well.
- Add warm water and stir until dough begins to ball up.
- On a lightly floured surface knead the dough. Do not over-work the dough. After working dough, place in a bowl and refrigerate for 1/2 to 1 hour.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees in a frying pan or kettle.
- Lightly flour surface and pat and roll out baseball size pieces of dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Puncture dough with a knife so the dough will fry flat.
- Place in oil and cook until golden brown (approx. 3 to 4 minutes per side) and flip over and cook the opposite side until the same golden brown.
- The dough is done in about 3 minutes depending on oil temperature and thickness of the dough.
- Add your favourite toppings to accompany this fried bread treat.
- This delicious fried dough can be used to create a myriad of yummy dishes from Indian Tacos to Cinnamon Sugar-coated Beaver Tails. Also delicious as a base for fruit and any type of stew or braised meats!