Spicy Chicken Noodle BowlCourse: MainCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Moderate
u003cemu003eNoodles are great, fast and inexpensive but if you are looking for a healthy simple alternative this is the way to go.u003cbru003eThe spicy chicken and addition of dried fruit is a surprisingly great combo and I guarantee after sitting down to this noodle delight you will say YES to zucchini more often than you think.u003c/emu003e
2 medium zucchini washed and spiralled (if you don’t have a spiral gadget you can thinly slice the zucchini into fine strips)
2 large carrot washed, peeled and spiralled (if you don’t have a spiral gadget you can thinly slice the carrot into fine strips)
1 green onion sliced into thin pieces
1.5 litre of good quality chicken broth
1 large chicken breast (skin on bone in tastes best)
2 tbsp dried cranberries
2 tbsp dried blueberries
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
.5 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp dark low sodium soya sauce (or to taste)
2 tsp sriracha (or to taste)
3 leaves of frisee or other lettuce, spinach or kale thinly sliced
1 clove star anise
- Set oven to 400 F
- Coat chicken breast with a mixture of 1 tsp sriracha, 1 tsp soya sauce (reserve the rest of sriracha and soya for soup) sprinkle black pepper over chicken breast.
- Place into a lightly greased baking pan for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Prepare zucchini and carrot by placing through a spiralling tool or slice into thin fine strips (cut vegetables may take slightly longer to cook than spiralled vegetables.
- Place zucchini and carrot into separate bowls set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot place chicken broth, garlic, ginger, remaining soya and sriracha, clove of star anise and bring to a gentle simmer on low to medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove star anise and discard.
- Remove chicken breast from the oven and allow to cool a little before removing the meat from the bone. (This can be prepared ahead of time and placed into the refrigerator)
- Slice chicken breast into thin pieces set aside.
- Add the carrots to the pot and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and frisee to the pot and allow it to simmer for 2 minutes.
- With tongs remove carrot, zucchini and frisee and place it into two large bowls dividing vegetables evenly.
- Layer your sliced spicy chicken over the noodles and frisee.
- Sprinkle with green onion, dried cranberries and blueberries.
- Drizzle with a small amount of sesame oil and enjoy!
- u003cliu003eu003cemu003eu003cstrongu003eThis noodle bowl can be modified and served with any vegetables you like. Try adding kale or spinach for a different flavour. You may also use leftover roast chicken, roast pork or BBQ pork thinly sliced.u003c/strongu003eu003c/emu003eu003c/liu003eu003cliu003eu003cemu003eu003cstrongu003eIf you really don’t like zucchini then switch it up with sweet potato spirals or dried rice stick noodles, just make sure to follow the directions for preparation on the package.u003c/strongu003eu003c/emu003eu003c/liu003e