Spicy Chicken Noodle BowlCourse: MainCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Moderate
Noodles are great, fast and inexpensive but if you are looking for a healthy simple alternative this is the way to go.
The spicy chicken and addition of dried fruit is a surprisingly great combo and I guarantee after sitting down to this noodle delight you will say YES to zucchini more often than you think.
2 medium zucchini washed and spiralled (if you don’t have a spiral gadget you can thinly slice the zucchini into fine strips)
2 large carrot washed, peeled and spiralled (if you don’t have a spiral gadget you can thinly slice the carrot into fine strips)
1 green onion sliced into thin pieces
1.5 litre of good quality chicken broth
1 large chicken breast (skin on bone in tastes best)
2 tbsp dried cranberries
2 tbsp dried blueberries
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
.5 tsp minced garlic
2 tbsp dark low sodium soya sauce (or to taste)
2 tsp sriracha (or to taste)
3 leaves of frisee or other lettuce, spinach or kale thinly sliced
1 clove star anise
- Set oven to 400 F
- Coat chicken breast with a mixture of 1 tsp sriracha, 1 tsp soya sauce (reserve the rest of sriracha and soya for soup) sprinkle black pepper over chicken breast.
- Place into a lightly greased baking pan for 20 minutes or until juices run clear.
- Prepare zucchini and carrot by placing through a spiralling tool or slice into thin fine strips (cut vegetables may take slightly longer to cook than spiralled vegetables.
- Place zucchini and carrot into separate bowls set aside.
- In a medium-sized pot place chicken broth, garlic, ginger, remaining soya and sriracha, clove of star anise and bring to a gentle simmer on low to medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove star anise and discard.
- Remove chicken breast from the oven and allow to cool a little before removing the meat from the bone. (This can be prepared ahead of time and placed into the refrigerator)
- Slice chicken breast into thin pieces set aside.
- Add the carrots to the pot and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini and frisee to the pot and allow it to simmer for 2 minutes.
- With tongs remove carrot, zucchini and frisee and place it into two large bowls dividing vegetables evenly.
- Layer your sliced spicy chicken over the noodles and frisee.
- Sprinkle with green onion, dried cranberries and blueberries.
- Drizzle with a small amount of sesame oil and enjoy!
- This noodle bowl can be modified and served with any vegetables you like. Try adding kale or spinach for a different flavour. You may also use leftover roast chicken, roast pork or BBQ pork thinly sliced.
- If you really don’t like zucchini then switch it up with sweet potato spirals or dried rice stick noodles, just make sure to follow the directions for preparation on the package.