Twisted Walnut Date CrispsCourse: DessertCuisine: Asian FusionDifficulty: Easy
20 to 30 pitted dried dates
3/4 cup walnuts
2 tbsp brown sugar
pinch of ground cinnamon
30 wonton wrappers
1 egg, beaten
oil for deep frying
whipped cream for dipping
- In a food processor or by hand roughly chop dates and walnuts.
- Add sugar and cinnamon, mix well.
- Lay one wonton wrapper flat and centre a small spoonful of mixture.
- Brush edges with egg mixture and place second wrapper on top.
- Lightly press edges to seal.
- Gently twist opposite ends to form a slight bend in wrapper.
- Place onto parchment paper and repeat until all wrappers have been used.
- Heat oil to 350 F
- Deep fry a few at a time until golden brown.
- Remove with slotted spoon to paper towel to drain.
- Serve warm with whipped cream
- Wonton wrappers can be used with many other ingredients. Try inventing your own variations of sweet fillings and see what you come up with. One suggestion is to make sure fillings are not overly runny or moist. Ice cream does work, but , you have to be fast and cook only one at a time.