Barrel Aged Cider Vinegar PorkCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Vinegar has a whole different use and while cooking with vinegar is likely not very high on most people’s lists, it should be. Not only is it a wonderful flavour enhancer and a great way to marinate lesser cuts of meat, it also holds magical properties.
4 to 6 centre cut pork chops (1/2 to 1″ thick)
1 1/2 cup barrel aged cider vinegar
3 or 4 cloves garlic, thin sliced
Sea salt to taste
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Place chops in a glass or plastic dish.
- Add cider vinegar and allow to soak for 4 to 6 hours, turning occasionally.
- Heat fry pan and add pork chops and marinade.
- Cook over high heat 2 to 4 minutes each side.
- Remove chops and discard cider vinegar.
- Clean pan well.
- Return to heat and add oil, place chops back in pan.
- Fry over low heat turning chops occasionally, cook until golden brown.
- In the last few minutes of cooking add sliced garlic and place lid on pan.
- Cook for a few more minutes until garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Remove pan from heat and allow chops to rest on a platter for a few minutes before serving.
- Vinegar is not just for pickles and fries anymore. Be adventurous, try something new and interesting and think about it as a positive eating experience.