Deluxe Tomato SaladCourse: AppetizersCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
Salad…boring, I know but, this salad is not your average garden variety rabbit lunch. I am not one for a bowl filled with romaine lettuce and some store bought dressing. Good enough in a pinch I suppose but, this salad is actually a very tasty and quick way to get your veggies without all that green filler.
1 lb English cucumber
1 lb Roma tomatoes
½ cup red onion, ⅛-inch thick slices
¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
1 tbsp basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 tbsp mint leaves, thinly sliced
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp dried oregano, plus extra for sprinkling
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
¼ cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Cut the cucumber by halving it lengthwise, then chop into ½-inch thick slices.
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters lengthwise, then into ½-inch thick wedges.
- In a large bowl combine cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, olives, basil, and mint.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together red wine vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, constantly whisking until an emulsified and lightly thickened dressing forms.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper as desired.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetable mix, toss to combine.
- Allow the salad to marinate for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Stir the salad and transfer to a serving dish.
- Sprinkle it with crumbled feta, salt, pepper, and dried oregano.
- You may use a Balsamic vinaigrette also if you prefer. Substitute Dijon and vinegar for Balsamic vinegar and whisk and serve as above.