Hearty Lentil SoupCourse: DinnerCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
Baby…when it’s cold outside what is more warming and delicious then soup? Lentil soup is a cinch to pull together and tastes like you’ve spent hours slaving away at the stove. It contains only a few ingredients and can be made to accommodate a vegetarian diet by simply switching out the broth base. So cook up a pot of soup grab a chair by the fire and watch your favourite movie sipping this hardly dish on a cold winter’s night.
6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 1/2 cups lentils or yellow split peas
1/4 Cup crumbled bacon or finely chopped baked ham
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 small onion chopped
2 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse lentils/split peas and set aside.
- In a large pot bring stock to a boil.
- Add lentils, onion, cloves and salt to taste.
- Cover pot and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Allow to cook until lentils are very soft and soup thickens, about 2 hours.
- Add precooked & drained crumbled bacon or finely diced Ham.
- Stir gently.
- Remove from heat allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh paprika, chilli, or chopped coriander over the top.
- This soup can be served with a salad and whole grain bread for a healthy, hearty meal.