Wassail w/Strawberry & Orange SlicesCourse: DrinksCuisine: EnglandDifficulty: easy
When the cooler weather approaches our thoughts shift to indoors and warm drinks to warm our soul. I love hot chocolate but, often find too much of a good thing is prone to adding on the extra pounds. Instead I like to make mulled cider or wassail. It’s a tasty alternative and just like hot chocolate you can add some alcohol to the mix to give it some extra kick. My recipe adds strawberry and orange slices for extra flavour and a lovely visual as you dip in the ladle and pour yourself a cup but you can stick with the traditional lemon and cranberry if you prefer.
2L Apple cider or apple juice
(red wine may also be used in place of cider)
2 apples or oranges lightly studded with cloves
4 – 6 cinnamon sticks
5 – 6 allspice berries (these may be omitted)
2 – 3 pieces of star anise
zest of 1 orange
dark rum (optional)
slices of strawberry and orange for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and simmer gently for 30 minutes – do not boil.
- Strain out spices and apple and transfer to a heatproof bowl, carafe or back into large pot.
- To serve ladle into glass mugs.
- Add 1/2 ounce of dark rum (optional) and garnish with strawberry and orange slices.
- After enough alcohol laced wassail one may feel the urge to head out and serenade the neighbours with several hearty choruses of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Be warned…they will likely not be as enthusiastic as you, especially at 2 am.