Rustic Tomato PieCourse: BrunchCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
Dough for single-crust pie
1-3/4 pounds mixed tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp minced fresh basil
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim crust to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate.
- Place half of the tomatoes and half of the onions in crust.
- Combine mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, basil, salt and pepper; spread over tomatoes.
- Top with remaining onions and tomatoes.
- Fold crust edge over filling, pleating as you go and leaving an 8-in. opening in the centre.
- Sprinkle with bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, 30-35 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before cutting. If desired, sprinkle with additional basil.
- You can change this up by using a gluten free crust or thin slices of olive oil brushed Italian bread (oil side down) arranged tightly on the bottom of the pan.