Mediterranean Style Lamb PocketsCourse: AppetizersCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Medium
The idea of these delicious morsels of goodness came from Mediterranean and Middle Eastern recipes that mix fruit such as raisins and apricots etc. with lamb. The tastes meld well together and the fruit helps calm the sometimes pungent flavour of lamb. To our pallet it seems like a strange combination but it really is delicious.
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups mincemeat
1 package phyllo dough
1/4 to 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- Set oven to 370 f.
- In a large skillet or in a 5 quart pot cook ground lamb until lightly browned.
- Drain fat from meat in colander then rinse to remove excess fat with hot water,
- Allow to drain until no more water is visible.
- Place lamb into a large bowl adding salt, pepper and 1 1/2 cups of mincemeat to lamb and mix thoroughly.
- Set aside to cool.
- Take phyllo dough from package and open onto work surface.
- Cut dough into 3 large strips (measure across the top of dough and divide into 3 equal widths then cut into lengths). Place a damp cloth over dough while not using.
- Divide strips into segments each containing 3 pieces of dough.
- Set aside, cover with cloth.
- Melt butter/margarine in a saucepan or in microwave.
- Place first strip of phyllo onto work surface and brush with butter.
- Layer second piece on top then add third layer brushing once again with butter.
- Place a large tablespoon of lamb mixture at bottom centre of phyllo strip and fold over to the left hand side creating a triangle.
- Brush once again with butter then fold to the right maintaining triangle shape.
- Continue to do this until strip of dough is used and you have a triangle pocket.
- Brush once again with butter and place onto separate baking sheet.
- Use remaining phyllo dough in same manner until all lamb mixture is used.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- These pockets will keep for a few days in the refrigerator in a paper bag.
- To reheat place in oven set to 360 f for 10 mins to crisp.
- You can heat in the microwave however, they do not retain their crispy outside crust this way.
- If you don’t like lamb you can use ground, chicken, turkey, beef or the trifecta meatball mixture of veal, pork and beef.
- These make a great snack and are really pretty fattening. So be sure to try and eat only one at a time. Everyone who has taste tested this recipe became my own personal food zombies.