Pistachio PuddingCourse: DessertCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
This pudding is worth the wait and is a delicious treat packed with the taste of pistachios. Easy to make and if you let the pistachios sit in the milk for at least 24 hrs the pudding is good but if you let them sit for 48 hrs the pudding is spectacular. Mix in some fresh or toasted pistachios just before serving for an extra kick of flavour and crunch. This also makes an excellent pie filling as well.
- Pistachio Milk
1 1/2 cups of whole milk
1/2 cup pistachios dry roasted and unsalted
1/4 cup white granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp corn starch
1/8 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups pistachio milk from above strain the nuts and just use the milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup chopped pistachios unsalted (optional)
1/8 cup toasted coconut (optional)
- Pistachio Milk
- Prepare Pistachio Milk (24 to 48 hours ahead)
- Shell pistachios and add them to milk in a jar with a lid.
- Close and put in the refrigerator for selected time.
- Remove nuts from milk as they will be soggy. You can discard the soaked nuts or purée them for use later.
- Cooking Pudding
- In a medium sauce pot, over medium heat, heat up milk, heavy cream and vanilla extract to 160 degrees. Stir well.
- Combine sugar, salt, flour and cornstarch in a medium mixing bowl, stir until all incorporated and set aside.
- In a large metal mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks.
- Slowly, while constantly stirring, pour ½ cup of milk mixture into the eggs.
- Pour in another ½ cup of milk mixture, very slowly, keep whisking.
- Slowly, whisk in dry ingredients.
- Pour mixture from the mixing bowl back into the sauce pot, stirring gently yet constantly.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring gently yet constantly, until mixture is thick.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Mix in chopped pistachios, if using.
- Transfer into a container with an air-tight lid and refrigerate until set.
- when serving sprinkle with more chopped pistachios and toasted coconut.