Pumpkin Pie w/Pate BriseeCourse: DessertCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Medium
Making a good pie is one thing, making an amazing pie is all in the crust. This traditional butter crust pumpkin pie is made completely from scratch and not only looks like a work of art, it tastes like one too!
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 to 4 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
- Pie Filling
All-purpose flour, for surface
1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
Whipped cream, for serving
- Pulse flour and salt in a food processor until combined.
- Add butter, and process until mixture resembles a coarse meal, about 10 seconds.
- With the machine running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream until the mixture just begins to hold together.
- Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month; thaw in the refrigerator before using.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. On a lightly floured surface, roll pate brisee disk 1/8 inch thick, then cut into a 16-inch circle. Fit circle into a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fold edges under.
- Shape large, loose half-circles at the edge of the dough, then fold into a wavelike pattern to create a fluted edge. Prick the bottom of dough all over with a fork. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Cut a circle of parchment, at least 16 inches wide, and fit into pie shell. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake until edges of crust begin to turn gold, about 15 minutes. Remove pie weights and parchment. Bake until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool.
- Pie Filling
- Whisk pumpkin, sugar, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, vanilla, eggs, milk, and a pinch of cloves in a large bowl.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Transfer pie dish to a rimmed baking sheet, and pour pumpkin mixture into cooled crust. Bake until the centre is set but still a bit wobbly, 50 to 55 minutes. (If crust browns too quickly, tent edges with a strip of foil folded in half lengthwise.) Let cool in pie dish on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 6 hours (preferably overnight). Serve chilled with whipped cream.
- NOTE: Want to zhuzh up your pumpkin pie a little more use one of the pumpkin spice blends here – or sprinkle spice into your whipped cream while beating or over the top when serving. A little goes a long way!