Lamb with Brown Rice and ApricotsCourse: DinnerCuisine: MediterraneanDifficulty: Easy
OK folks, here is a recipe you can actually feel good about eating. Truthfully, I rarely feel guilty about eating any food as long as I stick to my once a month rule on the really rich or really fatty stuff but, this one is just downright tasty and HEALTHY. The lamb, rice and nuts provide magnesium and dried fruits such as apricots provide boron, an essential element for healthy bones and teeth. So nosh away on this baby often and be guilt-free.
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 pound lamb, cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and sliced thin
1 tsp coriander, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup red wine
1 1/2 cups dried apricots
1/4 cup slivered almonds
or any nuts or seeds of choice
- Heat the pan and add olive oil.
- Place lamb in hot oil and cook until browned all over.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add onion, peppers, garlic, and ginger and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spices and cook for another minute or two.
- Return lamb to the pan, add rice, stock and wine.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed.
- Fold in nuts and spoon onto a serving dish.
- Variations on this recipe could include replacing apricots with large raisins and almonds with walnuts or cashews.